Charles Erickson was hired away from the Minneapolis Park Board in 1899 to become the first head greenkeeper at The Minikahda Club, and by July of that year the first ball was hit from the first tee by the club president. Affectionately known as the “General” by the club membership, Erickson’s practical and innovative approach to the challenges of turf and arbor management is best captured in his summation to fellow greenkeepers, “We are doctors of the green.” Among his mechanical contributions to the industry developed during his early tenure at Minikahda, was “The Sea Serpent,” the first golf course irrigation system in the United States. In addition, Erickson cultivated bentgrass at Minikahda and was instrumental in converting many of the golf courses in Minnesota from sand to bentgrass greens.
Erickson was also very active in the formation of the Minnesota Golf Course Superintendents Association, and in 1928 was elected its first president.
The Minnesota Golf Hall of Fame was established in 1987 to recognize Minnesotans for their outstanding contributions to the game of golf. A task force meets annually to determine nomitions. The Minnesota Golf Hall of Fame is housed at the Bunker Hills Golf Club in Coon Rapids, Minn., and is operated and supported by the Minnesota Golf Association and the Minnesota Section of the Professional Golfers' Association of America. For more information, contact Tom Ryan, MGA executive director, or Jon Tollette, PGA section executive director.